The Richard Thomas Foundation was established in 2009 to commission innovative and interesting works of contemporary performance art, and to support an ongoing programme of performances, recordings and exhibitions in London and elsewhere.
LATEST NEWS – JANUARY 2015
Upcoming concerts featuring music commissioned by the Foundation include:
- Quintet by Laurence Crane will be performed in March 2015 at the Victoria New Music Festival in British Columbia, Canada – the 8th performance of this work, and by the 4th ensemble to play it.
- Yellow Leaves by Charlotte Bray will be performed at Salon de Musique, Martigues, France on 23 January 2015 by Léa Trommenschlager (soprano) and Elizabete Sirante (piano) – the 7th performance of this work. Details here.
- Sadly Now The Throstle Sings by Gavin Higgins is due to be performed in London by the Tredegar Town Brass Band in the spring of 2015 – the second performance of this work. Watch this space for details.
- The Foundation is supporting the Allegri Quartet’s planned 2015 recording of Alec Roth’s string quartets 2, 3 and 4, having raised all the required funding from a number of generous donors.
Commissions in progress include:
- 12 Conversations with Thilo Heinzmann an interdisciplinary art and musical composition journey of ideas involving the Berlin based artist Thilo Heinzmann and the 2015 Golden Globe winning and Oscar nominee composer Jóhann Jóhannsson. German premiere planned for late 2015; UK premiere in early 2016.
- An as yet untitled art and musical composition collaboration between artists Pinar&Viola and cellist/composer Hildur Guðnadóttir. Paris premiere planned for late 2015; UK premiere in 2016.
- We are working on a Jazz and Poetry commission with the singer- songwriter Vesna Pisarović .Watch this space!
Finally, Richard’s most memorable concerts attended in 2014 are on his blog
- Schubert‘s String Quartet in G Major, D. 887 was performed in a public recital at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin on 21 November 2014 by the Berlin Chamber Ensemble (led by Martin Funda from the Armida Quartett) with support from the Foundation.
- A concert including work by Alec Roth and Jonathan Dove at the Purcell Room, Southbank Centre, London, UK on 13 November 2014 promoted by the Foundation and featuring Nicky Spence, Andrew Matthews-Owen and the Allegri Quartet. …“a most moving and evocative programme, a memorable concert, which will be remembered for a long time” (Christine Crowshaw).
- Dance company New Movement Collective, supported by the Foundation, perform two sell out shows of new work “Please be seated” at the Purcell Room, London in November 2014. Reviewed here.
- “At the Speed of Stillness” – debut CD by composer Charlotte Bray part funded by the Foundation came out in October on NMC Records. It was in the Sunday Times top 10 contemporary CDs of the year (ST 07.12.14). The CD includes a recording of Yellow Leaves commissioned by the Foundation.
- The artist Christian Flamm created a new Logo for the Foundation in September 2014
- A concert of work by Charlotte Bray at Piano Salon Christophori, Berlin, Germany on 12 September 2014, supported by the Foundation and attended by over 200 people.
- Jonathan Dove song CD “All You Who Sleep Tonight” supported by the Foundation out now on Naxos. Click here to buy.
- Artists Pinar & Viola launched their Family Special – Polyamory collection in Paris, France on 29th June 2014. The Foundation commissioned their related work Gentlemen Like Us
- Yellow Leaves by Charlotte Bray was performed in Aix-en-Provence, France on 23 June 2014. Details here and at Opéra de Lille, France on 8 October 2014. Details here.
- RTF 2013 Annual Report now published. Details here.
Click on image to see the Classical Music magazine (December 2013) picking two Richard Thomas Foundation Commissions (Charlotte Bray and Hannah Kendall) as “Premieres of the Year 2013″ and..
New Movement Collective is on the “Best Independent Company” shortlist for the 2014 National Dance Awards
Recent supported events included:
- The Ives Ensemble playing Barry, Cage, Crane, Egan and Fox at the Purcell Room, Southbank, London, on 3rd December 2013.
- New Movement Collective performing the interactive dance piece Casting Traces in London, July 2014
Completed commissions include:
- Yellow Leaves by Charlotte Bray first performed at the Purcell Room, Southbank, London on 15th May 2013
- On the Chequer’d Field Arrayed by Hannah Kendall, expanding an earlier commission “Middlegame” to a 3 movement piece, also first performed on 15th May at the Purcell Room
- Sadly now the Throstle Sings by Gavin Higgins, first performed at the RNCM Festival of Brass, Manchester, in January 2012
- Quintet by Laurence Crane, first performed at the Purcell Room, Southbank, London, in October 2011.
Clicking on the “COMMISSIONS” link above will take you to a complete list of pieces we have commissioned and supported, including further links to a recording of the premiere of Quintet and a film of the premiere of Middlegame.
Clicking on the “ABOUT” link above will take you to various bits of information about the Foundation.
Thank you for your interest,